What is the best dental service for filling in cavities? Is it the new-age wonders that composite fillings can provide or are the age-old tried-and-true dental amalgams the best option? The truth is that both services are great at combating cavities in their own way, with each type having their own set of unique benefits.
If you are seriously thinking about having a cavity filled, here are some of the advantages that each service can provide:
Advantages of composites:
– Composite fillings can be customized to match the color of a tooth.
– Some cavities are too small to be effectively fixed with amalgams. Composites can go closer and deeper to fill these cavities.
– If a composite filling needs to be repaired, the original filling does not need to be removed.
– Composite fillings contain no mercury, which some individuals may be allergic to.
– Composite fillings are extremely durable and can prevent tooth fracture.
Advantages of amalgams:
– Dental amalgams have been shown to be more effective and last longer in larger cavities compared to composite fillings.
– Dental amalgams take far less time to place in the dentist’s office.
– Dental amalgams have been around for over 150 years in America with a proven record of long-term success and quality.
Henry K. Danziger DDS wants to make your dental fillings as successful and timely as we can. You are welcome to schedule a visit to our office in Naugatuck, Connecticut. For more information about which service suits you best, please book an oral exam with Dr. Henry Danziger by calling our office at 203.729.0563. We look forward to fighting cavities for you!